The Clock Tower
The Clock Tower of Venice, also known as Mori Tower, is one of the most famous architectural signs of the lagoon city: it overlooks the access to the city's nerve center, the ancient Merceria dell'Orologio, like a triumphal arch.
The building to which it belongs, in Renaissance style, is located in Piazza San Marco, in front of the homonymous Basilica. The tower was built between 1496 and 1499 and then expanded twice, in 1506 and 1757, until it got its present appearance.
The Clock Tower is also an element of rupture and connection between the various architectural parts of the complex of St. Mark's Square and between the different urban functions that branch off from it: the seats of political and religious power, the places of representation and those of the economy, the view towards the sea and the articulation of the entire city building network.
In short, the Clock Tower is, with its large astronomical clock, a masterpiece of technique and engineering, an indispensable element of the image of Venice itself and has been marking its life, history and continuous flow for exactly five hundred years now. weather.