Civic Museum of Rieti
The Civic Museum of Rieti is one of the oldest museum institutions in Lazio. The original nucleus of the collection began to form in the late Renaissance period, when a series of tombstones were brought together and placed under the arcades of the Town Hall of the city. Later this group of epigraphic material was flanked by a small collection of works of art, paintings, sculptures and goldsmiths was placed in the rooms of the former convent of S. Agostino in Rieti. In 1909 the initiative to reorganize the artistic collection of the town hall took the form of the transfer of the whole collection to the second floor of the Town Hall of the city. The Civic Museum of Rieti already boasted the nucleus of precious works by Zanino di Pietro, Luca di Tommè and Antoniazzo Romano; which placed it among the small contemporary regional collections of great historical and artistic interest. The current collection, increased over the years by works donated by private individuals or by temporary deposits, has been distributed in two different locations, the Historic Artistic and the Archaeological one. The Historical - Artistic Section is located on the second floor of the Town Hall and the Archaeological Section is located in the former monastery of S. Lucia from the 13th century.