Museum Of History Of Psychiatry
The pavilion Lombroso, one of the landmark buildings of the complex mental hospital of San Lazzaro – which also hosted the painter Antonio Ligabue –È It was transformed into Museum A History of Psychiatry and open to the public on 30 September 2012. For nearly a century the place of pain and constriction, the museum now allows to evoke the special atmosphere that has characterized it. They are original spaces, materials, colors and traces of the degradation that have marked the’ there were respected.
The collection of the Museum was established by Carlo Livi in 1875 director to show progress, discoveries and applications that were a credit to the psychiatric science and its establishment was enlarged by successive directors.
ground floor hosts a selection of the mostù significant restraint objects and machinery used for therapeutic purposes, the devices for the’ electroshock and some cells dedicated to the themes of the excess of’ psychiatric hospital, the promotion of mental health and the stigma struggle.
The < strong> top contains a collection of objects from the historical heritage of’ former St. Lazarus, like the artifacts of the patients and the scientific instruments used in laboratories.