The Gazzola Museum in Piacenza was founded in 1838 through the bequest of Doctor Cesare Martelli. On that occasion 42 paintings, including works by Antonio Campi, Gian Mauro Della Rovere, known as the Fiamminghino, by Miradori, by Piola, by Giovanni Andrea De Ferrari, by Guidobono, by Bonifacio dei Pitati, by the Aldorfer school, by Mattia Preti, Giuseppe Maria Crespi, Della Vecchia, Benedetti Luti, Luigi Mussi and Carlo Maria Viganoni were sold to the Institute. The Congregation that administered the assets bequeathed by Gazzola decided to create a real School of Art in the Piacenza building that belonged to the Gazzola family. Not, therefore, a simple scholarship, as the count had thought, but a real course of study with teachers regularly paid by the Gazzola Art Institute. Throughout the nineteenth century, therefore, all the best Piacenza artists revolved around the Institute. The Martelli legacy was followed by various others who further expanded the Museum with works such as Hector's meeting with Andromache and Hector reproaches Paride, two of Gaspare Landi's best early works as a "history" painter, praised with a sonnet by Ippolito Pindemonte. Also of note is the panel of the Circumcision signed by Perugino and dated 1498, the canvas by Morazzone depicting Jesus scourged and an Education of the Virgin referable to Roberto De Longe, as well as the numerous paintings from the Zanco legacy, such as the Madonna Addolorata del Dolci, the Flowers at the open by Margherita Caffi and the Roman landscape by JP Hackert. The Gazzola Museum is also able to offer a rich choice of works that represent the salient aspects of Piacenza painting between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.