Curated by: Gail E. Solberg
For the first time, a large monograph will be held dedicated to Taddeo di Bartolo (c. 1362 - 1422), one of the most significant artistic presences of the time, at home and beyond. As a real itinerant teacher, in fact, he spent a good part of his career moving between Tuscany, Liguria, Umbria, and Lazio at the service of politically and economically powerful families, public authorities, large religious orders and brotherhoods.
The exhibition, curated by Gail E. Solberg, the painter's most accredited scholar, will present 100 panels by the Sienese painter, capable of reconstructing his entire artistic parable, from the late eighties of the fourteenth century until 1420-22, with loans coming from prestigious international museums, such as the Louvre in Paris and the Szépművészeti Múzeum in Budapest, and with the decisive collaboration of Italian institutions and institutes.
Taddeo di Bartolo was the greatest polyptych master of his time. The review will therefore give particular emphasis to this sacred art form, thanks to the presence of complete blades and disassembled tables which, placed side by side, will allow the complexes to belong to for the first time.
For the occasion, in an environment that will recreate the interior of a Franciscan classroom church, the imposing figurative apparatus of the now dismembered altarpiece of San Francesco al Prato in Perugia will be reconstructed, of which the National Gallery of Umbria preserves 13 elements. To these will be added the missing parts, so far identified, such as the seven panels of the predella depicting Stories of St. Francis, preserved between the Landesmuseum in Hannover (Germany) and the Kasteel Huis Berg in s'-Heerenberg (Netherlands), and the small San Sebastiano del Museo di Capodimonte in Naples, which probably decorated one of the pylons of the carpentry.
The eight tablets, painted in tempera on a gold background with figures of saints, originally belonged to the polyptych of the Eugubine church of San Domenico, will arrive from the Ducal Palace of Gubbio. These works by Taddeo di Bartolo were recently acquired by MiBACT, which exercised the right of first refusal, recognizing in them an exceptional historical-artistic interest, thus returning them to the cultural heritage of the city.