To spread in the collective consideration absolutely positive if ', the wealthy banker Enrico Scrovegni in Padua in 1300 bought the Arena Romana neighborhood, to build his palace and a chapel dedicated to Our Lady for the repose his and his father Reginald, the usurer mentioned by Dante in Canto XVII of Hell. The small church of simple and clean forms externally presents within a single environment, terminating at the bottom with a sanctuary in which is located the sarcophagus of Enrico Scrovegni, the work of Andriolo de Santi and altar a Madonna and child by the sculptor fourteenth Giovanni Pisano. The chapelè It constituted by a single compartment of 20.5 x 8.5 m. and 18.5 m. in height with a vaulted ceiling. The entire decorationè considered one of the greatest masterpieces of all time. After seeing Giotto and his school work in the Basilica of St. Anthony, the Scrovegni the commission memorize options mural decoration of the chapel (1303-1305). For this noble commission, the famous painter had available the walls of a church of small proportions and asymmetrical, because of the six windows that only open on the right wall. To make possible the implementation of the vast iconography, the artist took as a reference point the space between the two windows, calculating inserts two stories, one above the other.
Giotto want to condense the New Testament in thirty-painted scenes: starting from the events of Mary's parents, Joachim and Anna, to continue with the Stories of the Virgin and Jesusù ;, and close in the counter with the Last Judgment narrated in the Apocalypse. In addition are made fourteen allegories monochrome Vices and Virtù in the high perimeter base.