The Musei di Palazzo Buonaccorsi is located in the center of the city of Macerata and is home to the Museum of modern and contemporary art. The Museum was founded in 1967 after the acquisition of the Municipality of Macerata. The Palace stands on an area that in ancient times housed the castrum and the sacred temple. The building was built in the fourteenth century by the will of the noble Buonaccorsi family. In 1697 the Roman architect Giovan Battista Contini, a pupil of Bernini, was commissioned by Simo Buonaccorsi to create a new residence by merging several neighboring houses. The interiors of the Palazzo retrace the Baroque and Rococo styles with the history of the Wedding of Bacchus and Ariadne and the Hall of the Aeneid by Michelangelo Ricciolini. The collection of modern and contemporary art includes artists from the fifteenth to the twentieth century. Among the most important artists stand out: Carlo Crivelli, Federico Zuccari, Carlo Maratta, Enrico Prampolini, Emilio Vedova and Osvaldo Licini.