spinner-caricamento
Share
fullscreen
Federico Barocci - Portrait of Maddalena Osuna Giron
fullscreen
Alessandro Algardi - Attila
fullscreen
Alvise Vivarini - Crucifix with angels collecting Christ's blood
fullscreen
Franz Werner Von Tamm, detto Monsó Daprait - Flowerpot, watermelon and moretto with a fruit platter
fullscreen
Christian Berentz - Flowers, fruit and tray with glass goblets
fullscreen
Elisabetta Sirani - Mother with child and Saint John
fullscreen
Hunt for the Calydonian boar
fullscreen
Giovanni Bellini - Coronation of the Virgin
fullscreen
Guido Reni - Fall of the Giants
fullscreen
Winged putto
fullscreen
Giannandrea Lazzarini - Trinity with Madonna
fullscreen
Mariotto di Nardo - Madonna with child with Saints Michel and Francis
fullscreen
Speranza bella - parade plate
fullscreen
Coat of arms of the Veterani family of Urbino
fullscreen
Ferruccio Mengaroni - Medusa
Federico Barocci - Portrait of Maddalena Osuna Giron
Alessandro Algardi - Attila
Alvise Vivarini - Crucifix with angels collecting Christ's blood
Franz Werner Von Tamm, detto Monsó Daprait - Flowerpot, watermelon and moretto with a fruit platter
Christian Berentz - Flowers, fruit and tray with glass goblets
Elisabetta Sirani - Mother with child and Saint John
Hunt for the Calydonian boar
Giovanni Bellini - Coronation of the Virgin
Guido Reni - Fall of the Giants
Winged putto
Giannandrea Lazzarini - Trinity with Madonna
Mariotto di Nardo - Madonna with child with Saints Michel and Francis
Speranza bella - parade plate
Coat of arms of the Veterani family of Urbino
Ferruccio Mengaroni - Medusa

Other works on display

Description

The majestic altarpiece made around 1475 is one of the undisputed masterpieces of the Renaissance. Painted for the Pesaro church of San Francesco, it was built in Venice and, since its arrival in Pesaro, it immediately became the object of devotion by the faithful. The panel depicts the Virgin on the throne, while she is crowned by Jesus assisted by Saints Peter and Paul on the left, Jerome and Francis on the right; behind a window a glimpse of a realistic landscape image, with a fortress, a real painting within a painting. Framed by pillars with two rows of saints, the central scene suggests an eternal stillness, while the story becomes dynamic and almost theatrical of the predella below, with the lively hagiographic stories. The work was brought to Paris by Napoleonic troops in 1797 as war booty and then returned to the papal government thanks to the mediation of Antonio Canova. Dismembered and sent back to Pesaro by sea, it is deprived of the panel at the top depicting the embalming of Christ, retained for the collection of the newly established Pinacoteca Vaticana.

Other artworks in Pesaro

Related searches

You don't know about Artsupp yet?

Artsupp is the new museum portal that was born to bring together all the highlights from the world of art and Italian museums on a single platform.

About us