The canvas was painted within 1568 by Bernardino Campi at the behest of Vespasiano Gonzaga Colonna. It is a partial replica of the painting with the Saints Cecilia and Caterina in the chapel of Santa Cecilia of the church of San Sigismondo in Cremona. Probably located in the Ducal Palace of Sabbioneta, it was transferred to Naples in 1594 by Isabella Gonzaga, princess of Stigliano, daughter and only heir of Vespasiano. Cecilia, seated in front of a positive organ, wears a precious diadem with a few strings of pearls on her head and a belt full of precious stones, as well as the brooch that fixes the sleeve to the dress. The virtuosity of the jewels refers to Bernardino Campi's apprenticeship at the goldsmith's workshop of his father Pietro, while the refined elegance of the figure leads back to Flemish models.