The Capitolium, the main temple of every Roman city, the very symbol of the culture of Rome, built in 73 AD, houses one of the most extraordinary statues of the Roman era: the Winged Victory. The large bronze statue, symbol of the city of Brescia, loved by Giosuè Carducci who celebrated it in the ode to Victory, admired by Gabriele d'Annunzio and Napoleon III who wanted a copy of it, is one of the most important works of Rome for composition, material and conservation, and one of the few Roman bronzes from excavations that have come down to us. The subject of an important restoration project, which lasted two years and conducted by the Opificio delle Pietre Dure in Florence, the Vittoria Alata is set up in the eastern cell of the Capitolium, in a museum exhibition curated by the Spanish architect Juan Navarro Baldeweg, conceived to enhance the material and formal characteristics highlighted by the complex restoration action. The Winged Victory thus returns to the place of its discovery: in 1826 it was found, together with six imperial heads and hundreds of other bronze finds, inside two walls of the ancient Capitoline Temple.
Other works on display