The collections of the Galleria Internazionale d’Arte Moderna di Venezia were established at the end of the nineteenth century around a sculptural nucleus, which constitutes the fulcrum of the first acquisitions in chronological and qualitative terms. In 1914 an important group of eight sculptures by Medardo Rosso entered the museum’s site at Ca’ Pesaro on the occasion of the sculptor’s monographic exhibition at the XI Venice Biennale: seven were donated by the artist with Etha Fles, including such masterpieces as La Portinaia (1883) , Donna ridente (1890), Bambino alle cucine economiche (1893), Madame X (1896) and La Signora Noblet (1897), while the extraordinary bronze Ecce puer (1906) was purchased by the City of Venice for the Museum.
Revolutionary and stateless, subversive and irreverent towards classical statuary, Medardo Rosso is a figure who in life inspired the work of many authors of his time, leaving an artistic and human legacy of great importance even for more recent generations.
Since 2012, Barry X Ball has been absorbing the artist’s creative soul, trying to capture his technical and compositional knowledge on the one hand, and the expressive power of the subjects on the other.
With the "Medardo Rosso Projec"t Barry has created a complex, almost encyclopaedic, 3D scanning project of the Turin master’s works preserved in Italian public and private collections, including those of Ca’ Pesaro, of the Galleria d'Arte Moderna in Milan and of the Museo Medardo Rosso in Barzio.