Botanical Garden Museum of Rome
The Botanical Garden Museum of Rome is located in the garden of Palazzo Corsini , at the foot of the Janiculum Hill , in the archaeological area of the Baths of Septimius Severus and his son Geta. It is in fact characterized by architectural presences of notable historical-artistic interest and houses collections of plant species, grown in greenhouses and outdoors, of high value (rare or endangered species) and monumental trees.
The origins of the Botanical Garden of Rome can be traced back to the papacy of Nicolò III (1277-1280) with the establishment of a pomerium or verziere, progenitor of the long series of Vatican gardens within which the Botanical Garden developed .
In 1660 Pope Alexander VII did his utmost to ensure that the University had its own Botanical Garden , detached from that of the Vatican and the seat was established in an area behind the Fontana Paolina on the Janiculum Hill. Subsequently, in 1820, the site of the Botanical Garden was moved to the garden of Palazzo Salviati alla Lungara, because it had suitable structures for growing plants and, in 1873, after the unification of Italy, to the garden of the former convent of San Lorenzo in via Panisperna, in order to bring together all the scientific institutes in the Viminale area.
The definitive arrangement of the Botanical Garden Museum in the current site of the Palazzo Corsini garden dates back to 1883, when the property passed to the State, with the commitment to create the headquarters of the Accademia dei Lincei in the building and that of the Botanical Garden in the garden .