Curated by: Matteo Fochessati e Gianni Franzone
The entrance hall to the Doge's Chapel is transformed from 28 August into a real, intimate and exclusive exhibition space , where some of the early twentieth century architectural projects that most characterized the city of Genoa are proposed, coming from the collections of the Wolfsonian.
With the fall of the Republic of Genoa and the annexation of Liguria to the Kingdom of Sardinia, after the Vienna Congress of 1814, the urban physiognomy of the city began to adapt to the new emerging political, social and economic dynamics, in a process of transformation and development that reached its peak in the first half of the twentieth century . In this period, some important urban plans were implemented which - having crossed the boundaries of the medieval city walls, of which the Ducal Palace had been the center of gravity - radically changed the face of the city, decentralizing the nuclei of power into newly built areas. political and economic then on the rise.
To the west, Ansaldo's industrial success, which reached its peak thanks to the war situation between 1915 and 1918, was embodied by the logistical and architectural plan of Adolfo Ravinetti, author in the Campi areas of the project for some reinforced concrete buildings which, destined for the production of military vehicles and materials, combined modern functional requirements with architectural suggestions of a classical layout.
To the east, the main urban transformation was determined by the Bisagno roofing plan, approved by the municipal administration in 1919, but completed only at the end of 1930, and preceded by other design hypotheses, such as the Bisagno roofing project and master plan of the adjacent areas (around 1905) by Giuseppe Cannovale, an engineer originally from Messina active in Genoa since the early twentieth century.
The urban arrangement of the neighboring areas, included in the Master Plan for the central areas (1932), was therefore sanctioned by the realization of the project by Marcello Piacentini for Piazza della Vittoria, which contributed to several artists and architects then active in Genoa, including Beniamino Bellati and Alfredo Fineschi. The centers of commerce and finance, such as Piazza Dante, built in the late thirties and documented here by the Terzano palace by Giuseppe Crosa di Vergani, marked in its austere line by overseas architectural models, were finally contrasted by places of entertainment and of free time, as in the case of the Yacht Club headquarters, again by Crosa, or the Piscine d'Albaro by Paride Contri.
The exhibition is curated by Matteo Fochessati and Gianni Franzone.