From December 13th 2018 to April 22nd 2019, the National Pinacoteca of Ferrara in Palazzo dei Diamanti, houses one of the most important Renaissance manuscripts in the world, one of the most representative masterpieces of figurative civilization born in the ancient capital of the duchy, now kept at the Estense Library of Modena.
The Borso d'Este Bible is the fulcrum around which the exhibition Cantieri paralleli will revolve. The Belfiore study and the Borso Bible. 1447-1463, edited by Marcello Toffanello.
The illustration of the Bible, created by a team of miners led by Taddeo Crivelli and Franco dei Russi, has constituted one of the two artistic yards in which the style of the Ferrara Renaissance school was forged.
The initiative also inaugurates the new room of the Pinacoteca dedicated to the study of Belfiore in Palazzo dei Diamanti, an environment firstly desired by Leonello d'Este in the mid-fifteenth century as a place dedicated to meditation and intellectual pleasures.
The Borso d'Este Bible is flanked by another illustrious guest, the table depicting the Polymnia muse, from the Gemäldegalerie of Berlin, which meets at the Erato and Urania with which it formed part of the pictorial decoration of this space. A selection of Renaissance medals, coins and ancient gems from the collections of the Galleria Estense of Modena recalls how the study was also a place dedicated to the accumulation and exposure of the first humanistic collections. A touch screen created by FrameLAB, a laboratory of the Department of Cultural Heritage of the University of Bologna, also allows the public to virtually visit the studio, admiring and questioning the mysterious muses that inhabited it. A second multimedia location will allow you to virtually browse the entire Bible.
For the occasion, the National Pinacoteca of Ferrara offers to the public with ten rooms entirely renovated.
This completes the work of technological adaptation and museographic updating started in 2016 with the reorganization of the exhibition spaces dedicated to the altarpieces of the first half of the sixteenth century and culminating with the polyptych Costabili di Garofalo and Dosso Dossi.
The works of Gentile da Fabriano, Mantegna, Cosmè Tura, and Ercole de 'Roberti are now visible to the public, in an exhibition that will lead the visitor through the events of Ferrarese painting from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century. An exhaustive system of information devices, including graphic reconstructions of dispersed complexes, will suggest a new reading of the collectibles history, of the original function and of the evolution of types of works such as the altarpiece. New attention will also be devoted to 17th and 18th century paintings, which are reserved for four rooms, which will be added to the one dedicated to the large paintings by Scarsellino and Bononi, inaugurated in the autumn of 2016.