Antonio Allegri, detto il Correggio
1514 - 1519
Oil on panel transferred to canvas
Also this painting bears in the title the homage to one of the most important founders of the Pinacoteca, Count Gian Giacomo Attandolo Bolognini, in whose Milanese home there were almost two hundred paintings, all donated to the city of Milan. The work proposes a much requested theme and treated in different variations by the great Renaissance masters. In this early version, Correggio has in mind the lesson of Leonardo, whose sentimental values he assimilated, and of Raphael, from whom he took the pyramidal structure of the composition. The marble pilaster, a reference to the classical world, introduces the intimate and reflective representation that unites the Madonna with her son and St. John, connected by simple gestures and the intense exchange of glances. Besides the figures, the landscape plays a not secondary role, and offers a view probably close to the painter's native land. The soft tones of the colors, the intensity of the shaded areas, the serene composure of the figures insinuate a strong feeling of panic in the religious subject.