The sculpture was part of the monument to Margaret of Brabant, wife of Emperor Henry VII. Died in Genoa in 1311, she had the honor of being immortalized in the only tomb ever sculpted by Giovanni Pisano, the greatest sculptor of Italian Gothic. The various elements that made it up were dispersed when San Francesco, the Genoese church where it was kept, was destroyed at the end of the eighteenth century. In 1960, Justice , a masterpiece of medieval expressiveness, was found in a Genoese garden, reused as an ornament for a fountain. Together with the sculptural group with the Elevatio Animae , now in the Sant'Agostino museum, it constitutes one of the only surviving elements of the monument.