In 1958 Kartell inaugurates the Laboratory Articles Division, dedicated to the production of technical articles in plastic material, for chemical laboratories and hospitals. A first important contribution comes from Gino Colombini who rethinks one of the most usual laboratory tools: the test tube holder. Unlike the traditional support with overlapping shelves and large holes, Colombini's project overturns the instrument which looks like a grooved plate in which to insert comb support elements with curved X-shaped teeth, spaced so that tubes of different sizes could be inserted into the grooves between one tooth and the other while remaining perfectly straight. The tool is immediately functional, flexible and economical thanks to the easy grip of the test tubes and the interchangeability of the comb elements. Still present in the catalog, today in polypropylene, the rack is becoming more and more economical and stable.