spinner-caricamento
Share

Museo di Arte Antica verified

Milano, Lombardia, IT open Visit museumarrow_right_alt

fullscreen
Female bust called La Mora
fullscreen
Female head, possibly that of Theodora
fullscreen
Agostino Busti, detto il Bambaia - Statue of a reclined Gaston de Foix
fullscreen
Agostino di Duccio - Saint Sigismund travelling toward Agauno
fullscreen
Bonino da Campione - Equestrian monument of Bernabò Visconti
fullscreen
Stone tablet bearing symbols of the Evangelists
fullscreen
Portal of the Banco Mediceo
fullscreen
Tabernaculum with angels
fullscreen
External fornix of the Pusterla dei Fabbri
fullscreen
Votive statues from Ticinese Gate
fullscreen
Lectern with nine skeins
Female bust called La Mora
Female head, possibly that of Theodora
Agostino Busti, detto il Bambaia - Statue of a reclined Gaston de Foix
Agostino di Duccio - Saint Sigismund travelling toward Agauno
Bonino da Campione - Equestrian monument of Bernabò Visconti
Stone tablet bearing symbols of the Evangelists
Portal of the Banco Mediceo
Tabernaculum with angels
External fornix of the Pusterla dei Fabbri
Votive statues from Ticinese Gate
Lectern with nine skeins

Other works on display

Description

The portal was the main entrance point for the so called Banco Mediceo, the palazzo given by Francesco Sforza to Cosimo de’ Medici in 1455. This main branch of the bank was directed by Pigello Portinari and was located in via dei Bossi. Despite being ear marked for exportation to the UK, the monument was acquired by the National Museum of Archaeology in 1864, thanks also to the financial backing of private citizens, the Italian state and the Municipality of Milan. Although there is no lack of letters and notary acts, the final document attesting the name of the architect and explaining the role of the Lombard master craftsmen who were called to work on the project commissioned by the Medici family is absent. The Tuscan architect Antonio Averulino, who worked on many constructions commissioned by Francesco Sforza, testified to the “splendid construction site” described before 1464 in his treatise on Architecture. An exuberant decorum characterises the abutment, the archivolt and gable of the portal, filling every surface with natural and allegorical figures, fluted square pilasters, frames, heraldry, emblems and mottos surrounded by ornaments inspired by vegetation: finally between chased clypei, the busts in profile of Francesco Sforza I and his consort Bianca Maria Visconti.

Other artworks in Milano

Related searches

You don't know about Artsupp yet?

Artsupp is the new museum portal that was born to bring together all the highlights from the world of art and Italian museums on a single platform.

About us