Machining of a naval turbine at the Mechanical Plant of Sampierdarena. This photo, dated 1926, highlights the expertise of the Ansaldo workers, portrayed here posing. The excellent Mechanical Plant was the first "piece" of Ansaldo's "mosaic" active in various fields, from iron and steel to electrical engineering, from railways to aeronautics ... The mechanical plant, founded in 1853, thanks to the vision of the engineer Giovanni Ansaldo, from the ashes of the Taylor & Prandi company, was initially involved in the production of locomotives and railway equipment. From the 200 workers of the foundation date there was a great development; 980 in 1884 up to 6,180 units in 1917. The production became more diversified over time: motor apparatuses, pieces of large and small forges, boilers, metal constructions, cranes, turbines and marine machines, as we have seen in the photo.