Galleria Giorgio Franchetti at Ca 'd'Oro is pleased to announce From Donatello to Alessandro Vittoria, 1450 - 1600. 150 years of sculpture in the Republic of Venice , the first major Venetian exhibition dedicated to Venetian sculpture curated by Toto Bergamo Rossi, director by Venetian Heritage and Claudia Cremonini, director of the Giorgio Franchetti Gallery at the Ca 'd'Oro. Organized and financed by the Venetian Heritage Foundation, in collaboration with the Veneto Museums Regional Directorate, the exhibition will open to the public on 22 April and will remain open until 30 October 2022 .
The exhibition, set up on the noble floor of the building, will focus on the dialogue between different works by masters who worked in Venice and in the territories of the Republic between the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries, such as Donatello, Antonio Rizzo, Pietro, Tullio and Antonio Lombardo up to Jacopo Sansovino and Alessandro Vittoria , proposing, in addition to works already known to the general public, some sculptures never seen in museum contexts. The exhibition as a whole aims to give visitors back the interpretative variety of the sculptural technique, underlining the wealth of materials, the expressive potential and the aesthetic declinations within a historical-artistic context that too often prefers, in the discourse on Venice, painting.
Thanks to important loans from national and international institutions and private collections, the itinerary will focus on the most significant moments of a much broader and more branched event such as that of sculptural production in the Veneto area from the early Renaissance to the late Manner , with the aim of highlight the complexity of stylistic and iconographic contributions converging on Venice in years of strong renewal for the local figurative culture.
The Giorgio Franchetti Gallery at the Ca 'd'Oro , with one of the most important museum collections in the city for the quality of the works of different eras and types, has always been in Venice one of the cornerstones of private collecting merged into public collections and the place par excellence of concentration of sculptural masterpieces from scattered monumental contexts, largely conceived for dismembered or no longer existing ecclesiastical complexes of the lagoon territory. The presence of a prestigious collection of bronzes and sculptures from the Venetian area - mainly from the Renaissance, but with valuable testimonies that go back to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries - is the result of the original desire to allocate important testimonies of Venice to Ca 'd'Oro disappearance that enriched, since its inauguration in 1927, the nucleus coming from the legacy of Baron Franchetti.