The National Museum of Palazzo Venezia is housed in the historical building built in 1455 by the Venetian Cardinal Pietro Barbo, elected pope a few years later under the name Paul II. The collections of the Museum of Palazzo Venezia were formed from a core group of sculptures and works from Castel Sant'Angelo, the National Gallery of Ancient Art and the collections of the Museum near the Roman College founded in the seventeenth century by Jesuit Athanasius Kircher . The artistic material of the original collection consisted mainly of works of medieval and renaissance eras. Around 1920 the original collections were added various objects confiscated from the religious orders and subtracted from buildings destroyed and heavily damaged by the earthquake in Abruzzo of Marsica in 1915. In 1929 the palace was chosen by Benito Mussolini as the seat of the Head of Government, the museum was practically it closed and became visited only with permission of Public Security organs. After the interlude of the war, the Museum of Palazzo Venezia has gradually defined its character of great Museum of Applied Arts. There are preserved: collections of paintings on wood and canvas from the XV-XVIII centuries, seventeenth century pastels and miniatures and fans; a rich variety of Italian and German wooden sculptures; a valuable collection of sketches and terracotta reliefs of the '500 and' 600; early medieval and Renaissance marbles; sigillari matrices, enamels, sacred gold and profane use silver, glass, ivory and Renaissance bronzes Italian school; a vast collection of ceramics which includes specimens of Orvieto archaic majolica, Italian Renaissance majolica, domestic and foreign manufacturers china (including a large repertoire of oriental porcelain export); not missing a section of tissue which includes, in addition to a significant series of tapestries, rugs, fabrics copte, sacred use of modern fabrics and profane use, lace lace, headgear and hairstyles and manufactures various shapes; It is also the vast repertoire of boxes and furniture in general, of wrought iron, various windows as well as a remarkable collection of antique arms and armor.