The Lantern Of Genoa
The Lantern of Genoa, an authentic icon of the city, is the highest lighthouse in the Mediterranean (77 meters), the second highest in Europe and over the centuries has been a signal tower and an armed guard, a stage for tightrope walkers, a prison. It was built in its current form in 1543, its rotating optic is visible at a distance of 57 kilometers.
Today it is a museum that contains "stories": stories about Genoa and its province, seen through history, art, territory, characters, traditions. Eight hours of archival footage allow for ever-new programming on the over forty screens distributed in its rooms. It is an integral part of Mu.MA - Institution of the Sea and Migration Museums of Genoa, which also has other exhibition venues such as the Galata Museo del Mare, the Commenda di Prè and the Naval Museum of Pegli.