Share

The Medici Chapels

The Medici chapels have been a state museum since 1869, but their history is closely linked to that of the Church of San Lorenzo, to which they belong. The two main parts that are visited are extensions of the apse of the basilica: the New Sacristy, built by Michelangelo from 1519 in about a decade, and the great chapel of the Princes, from the following century, completely covered with marble and semi-precious stones where the Grand Dukes of Tuscany and their families are buried; also part of the itinerary are some rooms of the crypt (designed by Buontalenti) under the chapel of the Princes, where the ticket office and the library are located and sometimes temporary exhibitions are held. The museum also preserves a part of the precious treasure of the Basilica of San Lorenzo, consisting of sacred wallpapers and magnificent reliquaries.

Timetable and tickets

Address

Piazza di Madonna degli Aldobrandini, 6
50122 Firenze

Non sei ancora registrato?

Non perdere di vista le migliori mostre e gli appuntamenti più interessanti!

registrati

Other museums in Firenze

Related searches

account_balance Palazzo Massimo
account_balance Museo Canova
spinner-caricamento